Featured Image Credits: TeePublic
Season 14 is on Netflix right now and somewhere in the middle of Episode 10, I thought to myself of all the reasons that keep me substantially attached with Grey’s Anatomy. Even after all these years, I get curious about what’s going to happen next. Is Meredith going to be fine after all?
Over a decade of falling in and out of love, heartbreaks, dreadful surgeries and bitter-sweet memories with the cast of Grey’s. If you’re a fan of this TV Show, you’d agree with me when I say that it has left a huge impact on a lot of our lives. Being a lover of words and quotes, I look forward to hearing the monologues at the beginning and end of each episode.
Still with me? Just like this one, there are hundreds of other dialogues that give meaning to love and life. Regardless of whether you follow grey’s or not, here are a few lessons that we have learnt from this beautifully scripted show:
- Mistakes are inevitable. Therefore, knowing that you can do something is better than wondering if you could, for the rest of your life. Take your chances.
“It turns out sometimes you have to do the wrong thing. Sometimes you have to make a big mistake to figure out how to make things right. Mistakes are painful, but they’re the only way to find out who we really are.” – Denny Duquette (S3*E4)
- There’s too much pressure about looking happy and being fine all the time. Sadness is as much part of life as happiness is. Mental health is important.
“Deep down, everyone wants to believe they can be hardcore. But being hardcore isn’t just about being tough – it’s about acceptance. Sometimes you have to give yourself permission to not be hardcore for once. You don’t have to be tough every minute of every day. It’s okay to let down your guard. In fact, there are moments when it’s the best thing you can possibly do – as long as you choose your moments wisely.” – Meredith Grey (S4*O6 )
- Nothing works quite like a 30 second dance party does. You got a problem or stress? Well, Yang taught us how to Shut up and Dance it out in the middle of a storm to find our calm.
“We’re dancing it out. It’s either this or we cry.” – Meredith Grey (S13*E19)
- Never settle for anything less than what you deserve. At some point you have to stop feeling sorry for yourself and stand up for things that matter to you.
“If you want crappy things to stop happening to you, then stop accepting crap and demand something more.” – Cristina Yang (S2*E19)
- You don’t necessarily have to find a lover to understand true love. Sometimes a friend can teach you all about complete devotion. When you find your person, you stick with them even when they do something wrong, correct them. build them and surrender your darkest secrets to them. Thus, with that love, you will never be alone.
“She’s my person. This is not about getting her approval. It’s about telling her… if I murdered someone, she’s the person I’d call to help me drag the corpse across the living room floor. She’s my person.” – Cristina Yang (S3*E16)
- You don’t really have to seek revenge from those who hurt you in order to feel better. Acceptance and Forgiveness is the only way you altogether move on from what gave you pain.
“Forgive and forget —that’s what they say. It’s good advice, but it’s not very practical. When someone hurts us, we want to hurt them back. When someone wrongs us, we we want to be right. Without forgiveness, old scores are never settled, old wounds never heal. And the most we can hope for, is that one day we’ll be lucky enough to forget.” – Meredith Grey (S4*E4)
- Being scared isn’t always a bad thing. Fear of losing or messing up does not mean you are not capable of taking on a task and/or ruining it for worse. It just displays that you care.
“Sometimes it’s good to be scared. It means you still have something to lose” – Richard Webber (S4*E10)
- You can plan your whole life but things can change any minute. Somethings that you despise might be in your future and you have to be ready to accept it. You don’t expect but the change hits pretty hard but it can downright be everything you need to grow. Just don’t give up on yourself.
“Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next. We can choose to be afraid of it, to stand there trembling not moving, assuming the worst that can happen. Or, we can step forward into the unknown and assume it will be brilliant.”- Cristina Yang (S10*E24)
- Love is overrated. It’s not just all beautiful and magic. On the contrary, it’s ugly and tough. But if you love someone, you tell them. Don’t be afraid to believe in love because one day when you least expect someone will make you believe in forever and actually stay.
“If you love someone you tell them. Even if you’re scared that it’s not the right thing. Even if you’re scared that it’ll cause problems. Even if you’re scared that it will burn your life to the ground, you say it, and you say it loud and you go from there.” – Mark Sloan (S9*E2)
- Love won’t always be reciprocated. Sometimes people need you to be there in order to fix themselves or help you see the truth. Other times they simply don’t love you the way you want them to. Worst is, they might leave you in the middle of the road and it will hurt. But the key is to realize that they are not the only one you are going to love. It is going to be okay. Forgive and Move on!
“When you feel you love someone more than they love you, it can make you a little crazy.” – Teddy Altman (S6*E17)
- Most importantly, self love is the best kind of love. Ultimately, you are the only one who can lookout for yourself so it’s okay to be selfish and put yourself first. Saving yourself before you save others is more important.
“You can’t wait for someone to fly underneath you and save your life. I think you have to save yourself.” – Meredith Grey (S2*E8)
GIF Courtesy: Giphy.com
Fun Fact: I feel like I am not done here and I can share so much more. I was legit crying whilst typing this post. Watch out for part two. Much love!